Thursday, September 15, 2011

Where We Are Now...

After spending some much needed time at home, and after my kids were sufficiently spoiled by their grandparents, we were finally on the road again and back to real life.  It was time to unpack, get settled, and start finding our way around yet another new city.

And where exactly is this new city?  Well, after much prayer, we felt like the time was finally right for my husband to go back to school.  So we are now living in Kentucky so he can attend seminary.  For so many reasons, and in so many ways, we are a perfect fit here, and although it has not all been easy (what move is??), we are completely confident that this is where God wants us right now.  How long will we be here?  I have no idea.  I have given up trying to figure out God's plan, because just when I think I know it all, He throws me a curveball.  So instead, I will walk in faith wherever He leads us.

There have been so many changes and adjustments that have come with this move and this new phase of our life, that it was a little overwhelming at first.  Because my husband is now in school, we made a lot of changes to how we live and where we live.  Before we left New Mexico, we sold a HUGE amount of stuff, including most of our furniture.  That has helped us settle in here, because we are living in a 980 square foot apartment.  It's tiny.  Really tiny.  But there are a lot of closets, and we totally make it work!  And I have realized that we often think we "need" things and space that in reality, are not needs at all.

Another major life change has also come as a result of my husband going back to school.  With him being a full time student, we had to figure out how to pay the bills.  All summer I applied for jobs, but mostly heard nothing.  We finally moved in and got settled, and still we were both unemployed.  About a week after settling in, however, I began to receive calls, and had four job offers in about 48 hours.

After being home with my kids for almost three years, I did not want to go to work full time.  I fought it, and wrestled with it, and came up with a hundred reasons why I should still be at home with my kids.  But ultimately, God made it clear that He had a place for me, that He was providing for our family, and that my babies would be taken care of.  And I truly want to support my husband, and give him the opportunity to grow as an individual as well as a follower of Christ, as I know he will while we are here.

And so, probably the biggest reason for my lack of blogging the last two months is that I have been teaching Algebra 2 and College Algebra to juniors and seniors at the most amazing Christian school I have ever seen.  They are truly focused on seeing kids come to know the Lord, and it is so nice to be in a work place who shares my focus and priorities.  I love that we can share prayer requests with each other, and if I want to, we can set math aside and pull out our bibles to study God's word together.

Plus, they have a wonderful preschool, so on Tuesday and Thursday, while my husband is in class, Punkin and Bubba come to school with me, and Baby Doll goes to the babysitter right next door.  The preschool director went out of her way to shift classes around to make room for my kids, and found a babysitter for Baby Doll (you know, since I know no one here).  And then on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, they get to stay home with their daddy.  :)    

It was really really hard to get used to being back at work (and getting up and out the door on time every morning), but things have settled down a bit now.  We have all gotten into a routine (as much as possible, anyway), and my kids are absolutely LOVING school.  As I knew that they would!  

So that's where we are now!  Whew.  I have so much more to share, but I think I'll just leave it at that for now.  After all, I have to get up early tomorrow, and Baby Doll is still not sleeping through the night!     

No comments:

Post a Comment